Some of the basics
- Train all staff, especially reception staff, in gender inclusive care. Consult Affirmative Care for Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming People: Best Practices for Front-line Health Care Staff – PDF.
- Ensure there are gender neutral washrooms available.
- Review all forms to allow for indication of trans or gender non-conforming identities, for example: Gender:________________
- Have signage indicating that clinic is welcoming of gender-diverse individuals.
- Assume that any patient could identify as trans, even one you’ve known for many years.
- Learn tips on talking to patients about gender identity. Consult Asking the right questions 2: Talking about sexual orientation and gender identity in mental health, counselling, and addiction settings – PDF.
- Be sensitive to the fact that many gender-nonconforming patients have a personal history of negative experiences with healthcare providers. Consult Factors Impacting Transgender Patients’ Discomfort with Their Family Physicians: A Respondent-Driven Sampling Survey – PDF.
- Review the Center of Excellence for Transgender Health’s page, Creating a safe and welcoming clinic environment.