Trauma is a frightening, threatening and abnormal event or series of events. Trauma can cause you to be anxious and afraid long after the event occurs. The signs of trauma can be both physical and emotional, and may include:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Poor concentration
- Low energy
- Change in appetite
- Always feeling on guard
- Easily startled
- Intense feelings of sadness, fear, horror or helplessness
- Avoiding strong emotions
- Feeling detached or isolated from people
- Repeated, distressing memories, or dreams associated with the events
- Problems in relationships, trouble feeling love, trust or other strong emotions
- Frequent feelings of anger or irritation
- Feelings of guilt or shame
- Intense feelings of responsibility and blame
Klinic’s Post Trauma Counselling Program can help people with traumas related to abuse, violence and/or the loss of a loved one by suicide. This program can help people cope with emotional pain and recover from the affects of trauma by offering one-on-one and group counselling to help you:
- Understand how you have been affected by a traumatic event
- Understand the emotional and interpersonal aspects of your life
- Re-affirm your strengths, self worth and value
- Help you make changes to your life that are important to you
After a Suicide provides important information on practical matters following a death by suicide and guidance on the grieving and recovery process.
Calm in the Storm: Coping with the Stresses of Life – Learn about what stress actually is, its affects and how to manage stress and live a life that is calmer.
For more information about trauma and recovery, visit www.trauma-recovery.ca.