Though adjustments have been made due to COVID-19, Klinic’s team of service providers are still here for you and available to address your concerns.
In Keeping with Public Health recommendations we are offering the majority of our health care and counselling appointments by video or phone. Depending on provider availability, we are able to offer limited in-person appointments where necessary to provide you with the care you need. If you are a client of Klinic or want to access one of our drop-in programs, please call us at 204-784-4090. If attending in person, please note that we recently moved to 167 Sherbrook Street.
We are taking the following precautions to keep our community safe from COVID-19:
- Staff and volunteers screen for symptoms prior to every shift, and do not attend work if they are sick
- Staff and volunteers use personal protective equipment, such as masks and eye protection during client appointments
- Hand, cough and sneeze hygiene protocols are followed
- Cleaning and disinfection protocols are in place
- Physical distancing protocols are in place, and we have reduced the number of staff, volunteers and clients that are on site
Clients and participants who are attending in-person, please be aware of the following:
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms or have been told to self-isolate, please call us at 204-784-4090 to discuss rescheduling your appointment.
- If your health concern is time sensitive, we will have one of our providers review your situation and determine how to proceed. Please note that if your health concern is urgent, please proceed to your nearest Emergency / Urgent Care Department.
- If you’re unsure what the symptoms of COVID-19 are, please check here: https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/updates/testing.html . If you do have symptoms, please consider getting tested and self-isolate from others.
- We are limiting the number of people who attend appointments to one person in the room at a time. This does not apply to interpreters, support workers and families / caregivers with young children. If this is a concern for you, please speak to your health care provider.
- Please don’t arrive for your appointment more than five minutes before the scheduled time. If you arrive earlier than that, we will ask you to leave and return closer to your scheduled appointment time. This is required in order to minimize the number of people in our waiting areas.
- We are now requiring that you wear a mask or face covering for the duration of your appointment except for people who suffer from an illness or disability that makes it difficult to put on or take off a mask, those who have difficulty breathing, or for children under the age of 5 years. A mask can be home-made, a scarf or handkerchief. If you don’t have one available, please let our staff know and we will provide one for you.
- You will be screened for symptoms and other risk factors when arriving at a Klinic. Please note that if you have any symptoms or risk factors such as waiting for a COVID-19 test or recent travel, you will be asked to return home and reschedule your appointment.
- Upon arrival you will be asked to sanitize your hands. Please cover your mouth and nose with a tissue if you cough or sneeze, or do so into your elbow, and hand sanitize immediately after.
We know that some of these changes are not easy for you, and we really appreciate your support and understanding. Working together to follow the guidelines is the best opportunity we have to minimize the risk of transmission and to keep our communities safe.
Additional Information on Specific Programs:
All Klinic counselling programs remain open. In an effort to follow social distancing guidelines, we are offering all counselling appointments by phone and some by video. For domestic abuse counselling, trauma counselling, sexual assault counselling and suicide bereavement counselling, please call: 204-784-4059.
Drop-In Counselling is providing appointments via telephone sessions. To schedule a phone counselling session, please have your Manitoba Health card in hand and call 204-784-4090 beginning at 9:00am. You will receive a same-day telephone appointment. At the scheduled time, a counsellor will call you. If you do not have access to a phone, the Crisis Response Centre (CRC) at 817 Bannatyne Avenue continues to be open.
All client groups are temporarily suspended including Mindful Meditation, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, Auricular Acupuncture, Dream Catchers, Craving Change, Trans Health Injection Group, Women’s Evolve, Men’s Evolve, Men’s Prep, DBT Skills, Suicide Bereavement, Calm in the Storm, Mindful Self-Compassion and Yoga. We are currently looking at alternate ways to safely provide support for these groups and will provide updates as they are available.
Project Choices is working with our partners at the sites where we provide services to determine when and how to safely resume.
Our STI Klinic service remains open – we have temporarily moved to telephone care (as much as possible). Please phone us at 204-784-4090 to book an in person same day appointment for STI Klinic. After you complete your initial paperwork, you will speak to a nurse over the phone from a private exam room, followed by a brief in person visit. Please contact us if you have a recent sexual partner who has tested positive for chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis or HIV or if you have symptoms of an STI, you were told to come in for testing or treatment, if you have experienced sexual assault, or for emergency contraception. We have limited appointment availability for non-essential services such as routine testing without symptoms, genital wart treatment and immunizations. STI Klinic is not currently operating on Saturdays.
Our Teen Klinic service remain open and we have temporarily moved to telephone care (as much as possible). Please phone us at 204-784-4090 to book a phone appointment for Teen Klinic. These appointments will be between 4:00PM and 6:30PM on Mondays. You can phone any time during regular office hours to book the appointment. Although the appointment starts over the phone, be prepared to come to Klinic to complete the appointment in person after the phone call.
Pap Klinic: We are not currently offering routine PAP Klinics at this time.
Prescription Refills: At this time we are not accepting calls from clients with regards to prescription refills. Please call your pharmacy. Klinic providers will work with your pharmacy to ensure that you receive your medications. Sometimes you will be required to connect with your prescriber, and the pharmacist will relay that information to you. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Isolation Skills Resources: Isolation is tough on all of us. Human beings are social creatures, and not having the opportunity to connect with each other can be really difficult. These resources include a number of strategies for coping with the many aspects of isolation, as well as worksheets, suggestions, and schedules.
And remember: please take care of yourself!